Saturday, September 15, 2012

ALEXA'S PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

If you can read this, be thankful for the health of your eyes. Many people do not have that luxury.

I'm here today to bring a serious topic to you, one that's near and dear to my heart. When I was a child, I was very sick. I had arthritis at three-years-old, open heart surgery at 7, 2 eye surgeries before I was 12, hand surgery, physical and occupational therapy, and several other ailments. I was an expert at how doctors and hospitals worked when most kids my age were outside playing. With the amount of scars on my body, you'd think I was in combat somewhere. Thankfully, as an adult, I am fairly healthy (except for the extra pounds I could stand to lose.)

I tend not to discuss my medical history here because I believe it has no bearing on my writing life. But today I will make an exception. Why? Because I believe we ALL need to help each other in any way we can. This afternoon I am going to the hairdresser's to get 11 inches of my hair chopped off. I've been growing it out for three years and today I am donating it to Locks of Love. If you're not familiar with this organization, it works to make hairpieces for children who are suffering from hair loss due to ANY medical diagnosis. For more information about this organization, visit their website at www.locksoflove.org.

Because of my medical history, I am unable to donate blood. For a long time, I didn't think I could do anything to help those in need. But then a writer friend (Michelle McGinnis) chopped her hair off for Locks of Love and inspired me to look into doing the same. Since then, I've also designated myself as an organ donor on my license. I am not in a position to donate money for any causes, but in the past I have given money to organizations that were close to my heart. Once I get another full-time job, I intend to once again donate money.

My point in telling you all this isn't to pat my own back, but to show you where I stand and how I came to that. I believe regardless of our political views and our religious views, we ALL have a duty to help each other. If you are struggling financially, there are still ways to help others. You could donate your time, too. If you are in a position to donate money, choose one or two organizations that mean something to you and make a donation. It doesn't have to be a huge amount of money, but take a stand. Make a difference. Show your pride and take care of your fellow man, woman or child. Every little bit helps. Your little bit combined with my little bit and the little bit of others can eventually make a HUGE difference to those in need.

11 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY agree. Thank you for posting this. You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brava! I donate blood, though, for some reason, I'm too short to donate platelets. I'm working on my second gallon. You're correct - we all can do something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS is wonderful, Alexa. I do believe people can do SO much good just by helping with small things--your elderly neighbor might need something from the grocery, so you could pick it up when you go. Maybe you know love a certain hiking trail and wish to take a small bag for trash next time you go. I've seen an elder gentleman in a wheelchair picking up trash with a grabber at a neighborhood event. I figured no one has an excuse if HE is willing! :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! It's sooooo important to me and I appreciate your support!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs to you, Alexa, for sharing a bit of your story - and for helping those in need!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your goodness exceeds your personal trials, Alexa. Thanks for serving as an inspiration for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristina, it just felt right, ya know?

    Deb, you are too kind. Seriously. You know me. You KNOW I'm not that good! LOL!

    Thanks, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! what a cool thing! I also am an organ donor and have been for 30 years!! This is kind of a cool goal... grow it out-give it-grow it out - give it...:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right, Alexa. I love giving and have been doing it all my life. I know some of you think my addiction to Gerry Butler is over the top, but through Gerry I have been donating to Kids Kicking Cancer, Orphans in Sudan, and Shade Tree which is an organization for battered women and children. Each year I make a tote bag with photos of him on both sides. His fan club raffles the tote bag off and all the money goes to one of these organizations in his name. Much to my delight the first year we sent $2000 to Kids Kicking Cancer and about the same the last two years. There are all sorts of ways to help as you say. I ran a fan club for country artist Kevin Sharp, a survivor of cancer. Through him we gave back to the Cancer Society. Since we lost our daughter to cancer and then I had it too, I have always supported the giving of locks to help out. I salute you for what you are doing. I don't have a lot of money, but have found by giving what I do it helps to raise the money to cure the illnesses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Cheryl!

    Paisley, thanks for sharing a bit of your story with us. I have to say this does put a whole different light on your Gerry obsession for me! :)

    ReplyDelete