Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Paperwork. Lots And Lots Of Paperwork.

In addition to the Pre-edits I told you about on Sunday, I also had a few other documents to work on for the publisher. 1 was an author info form, which is basic stuff of my contact info, my author bio, the book title, word count, etc.

Then there was the blurb/excerpt form, where I share what I think would make a good blurb and a good excerpt for the book. The blurb, I'm told, is the single-most important tool in marketing my book. (Yeah, no pressure there, right???) I was actually quite surprised how quickly and easily (in the grand scheme of things) the blurb was to write.

Then came choosing the excerpt. Ugh. I had a bit of a hard time coming up with this because I tend to focus on the suspense and my 1st choice for an excerpt was a suspense scene. But then I thought I should probably find an excerpt that showcases the chemistry between the hero and the heroine. I think I did a good job choosing. We'll find out.

The other form I had to fill out was a cover form. It was neat because I got to give quite a bit of information, way more than I thought I would. I had to describe the characters, the setting, write whether I wanted people or things on my cover, and add anything other suggestions I wanted to give. I also got to put my blurb on that form so the artist can get the gist of the story. I'm excited to see what they come up with!

Although I enjoyed every aspect of this work so far (except the brief panic I had about technology!), filling out all these forms did take me longer than I first expected. I imagine that's because I wanted to do a great job and I wanted to be proud of what I was sending back to my publisher.

Yes, I'm still smiling when I say my publisher or my editor. I imagine I will be for a while. 

2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I love hearing about the process and hope I get to experience it soon with Ellora's Cave. I'm living vicariously through your blogs! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Deb!

    I've always wanted someone to share the details of what happens between contract & release, and most of my friends who sold never seemed to have the time to share it all. So I decided a long time ago that I would pass on the info.

    ReplyDelete