Thursday, March 22, 2012

Release Party Day 5-Inspiration- Part II

Earlier today I shared the books that steered me in this direction. This afternoon I want to share the boys who steered me in this direction.

The original Highlander movie (with Christopher Lambert as Connor MacLeod) was my biggest inspiration for setting a story in Scotland. After a rough day tour from Sunderland, England when I was 10 to Scotland where I ate a burger in a Woolworth's type place, I vowed never to set foot in Scotland again.
When I watched this movie again and again, I fell in love a bit more with the scenery and the idea of Connor (and later Duncan) coming from the village of Glenfinnan on the shores of Loch Shiel. Combined with the books I mentioned this morning, I changed my opinion and suddenly couldn't wait to visit the Scotland in this movie and the books. In 1997, I did set foot in the country again and made my first visit to Glenfinnan, which eventually became the inspiration for Glenhalish.

 (Adrian Paul as Duncan MacLeod in Highlander: The Series)

(Cast of Monarch of the Glen, a contemporary Scottish soap opera)

While people raved about Mel Gibson as William Wallace, I LOVED Liam Neeson as Rob Roy.

The rest of these boys I added just because...




And well, how could I NOT include Sir Sean (who was also in the original Highlander movie as Juan Ramirez)?



So, got a favorite here? I'm not sure I can choose. Remember to comment for a chance at prize #3, a Celtic bag and a copy of Scottish Life magazine!

4 comments:

  1. Alexa,I LOVED Liam Neeson in Rob Roy! And in everything else he ever starred in! He's the inspiration for my latest hero!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia, wasn't Rob Roy perfect???? I loved him too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, Alexa, I LOVED all of them. Especially Rob Roy. Such a wonderful movie! Like the quote says, "Real men wear kilts!"
    Oh, and I'll have to check out Monarch of the Glen. I haven't even heard of it!


    Thanks for sharing your inspirations,
    Diva J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diva, Monarch is a GREAT series! It's no longer on, but PBS used to play back the episodes.

    ReplyDelete