Friday, August 10, 2012

My Take On The Bourne Legacy



Bright and early this morning, I walked into the movie theater and spent the last $6 on my gift card to see The Bourne Legacy. Now, anyone who knows me knows I'm a HUGE fan of the first 3 movies and of Matt Damon as Jason Bourne. But, I saw previews for this movie during the summer and thought I'd definitely give it a chance. Here's my take:
 
 
I do love Jeremy Renner and well, as an action movie it was good. But as another installment in the Bourne franchise.....yeah, not feeling the love. I don't know if it's just the fact that I'm obsessed with Jason Bourne & Matt Damon as the character or if my feelings are legit.
 
 
First off, I am definitely now a Jeremy Renner fan. I've seen him in other things, recognized him but from this point on I'll definitely know who he is and I will look for other movies of his. I think he did a FABULOUS job. And Rachel Weisz did a great job as a terrified scientist turned fugitive. AND, the romance author in me loved the chemistry between them. I could feel the tension between them, could see the trust grow and I loved...well, I won't give anything away.
 
 
As for the plot, I found it hard to understand some of the motivations behind choices the government people were making and the connections to Ultimatum were more of a distraction for me. (But some of the "where are they now" updates did shock me and call to every ounce of patriotism and justice-seeker within me.) I found myself wishing the story went deeper into the whys and hows of the characters, if that makes sense. I wanted more. Also, some of the subtle and not-so-subtle references to the original Jason Bourne trilogy affected me. I didn't know whether to be touched that they included them as sort of a tribute to the earlier movies OR whether to be offended.
 
 
So, was it good? Yes. Was it worth seeing? I think so. Will I see it again or buy it on DVD when it comes out? Probably not. BUT, when they do another Bourne movie, because based on the ending and the unanswered questions I'm sure they will, I'll definitely see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment