Monday, January 17, 2011

Scotland for Hogmanay- Days 5 & 6

Today was a lazy day.  We slept late, said goodbye to the girls from northern England and went window shopping.  We actually watched TV for a while and stopped in the hotel bar for some food and no drinks.  (I had chips, others had soup and sandwich.)

Sunday, January 2nd was our last full day in Edinburgh.  I slept in and then did my touristy shopping.  (For several years now I've chosen a Scotland calendar for my office so that was high on my priority list for the day, as was time in Deacon Brodie's).  Early afternoon, we left the Royal Mile and ventured out to the oldest pub in Edinburgh, The Sheep's Heid.  It's located on the other side of Arthur's Seat.  One member of our party talked about walking, but we ended up in a taxi.  Good thing, too!  The pub wasn't that close.  It opened in 1360.  For more details on it and some pictures inside, click here



I had roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, a meal I used to love when my grandmother made it.   I also tried a new beer, something with chocoholic in the name.  It was...chocolaty.  

After the meal, the others in my party decided to go for a walk.  I chose to stay warm inside The Sheep Heid Inn and have another beer.  I liked the chocoholic one, but not enough to have it again.  I sent my camera on the walk too.  This first picture is a walkway near the pub. 
 
These next 3 pictures are what my friends found at the end of the walkway.


  This picture above is Duddingston Loch.  Apparently it is famous due to an oil painting by Henry Raeburn called The Skating Minister.  The minister is supposedly skating on Duddingston Loch.  Here is the painting:
 
As it got dark, we took a taxi back to St. Giles.  I went on to finish my shopping and my friends went to a concert in St. Giles Cathedral.  They met me in Deacon Brodie's afterward, where I'd been sitting and having my last pint in Scotland.  I always get sad when I know I'm leaving the home of my heart.  Tears actually crowd the corners of my eyes and my heart squeezes in my chest.  It had been a year and a half since I was last in Edinburgh.  When would I be back?  Although my future is still unclear due to my job and my finances, I'm so thankful I took this trip and I'm so happy that I got to share it with you.


3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared it with us, too. What is it about Scotland that makes us feel at home? I know my heart is still there in the Highlands and I must return. So glad you had a great time and wonderful memories.

    We always get a calendar of Scotland and keep it in the kitchen by where we eat. National Geographic makes some gorgeous ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time I read "The pub wasn't that close. It opened in 1360." I got the sense that the taxi took you to 1360. How cool would that be? Love the age of those walls and buildings, so filled with history. Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, Alexa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great post Lexi! I love the pics, and I'm glad I was able "take" the trip with you via your blog. Maybe one day we can get CHRW to take a group trip. That would be awesome! I'll be availbe in 4 years, lol --that is most likely when I'll get a babysitter since all the kids will be in school...

    ReplyDelete